The Desktop Publishing Certificate Program is designed to help participants learn to create professional publications for print and web, such as: flyers, brochures, newsletters, magazines, books/booklets and more.
The program will help participants work through many steps of the desktop publishing process. They will learn the essentials: retouching and resizing photographs, creating original graphics, putting it all together in a layout, and exporting the files into formats for web or print.
Course topics will cover the following software applications: Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat.
After completing the Desktop Publishing Certificate Program, each participant will be able to use certain Adobe Creative Suite programs to create publications. Specifically, participants will be able to:
- Create new documents in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Identify and apply desktop publishing, photo editing, and graphic design terminology
- Create templates for publications using Adobe InDesign
- Retouch, color correct, and resize photographs to prepare them for use in publications
- Create original artwork for use in publications using Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Create multi-page documents and brochures using Adobe InDesign
- Create PDF files using Adobe InDesign and Acrobat
- Windows or Mac experience
- Word processing experience
- No prior knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, or Adobe Acrobat required
- Target Audience
- The Desktop Publishing Certificate Program is for Texas A&M University employees who need to create publications for communications and/or marketing purposes.
All courses, except for the Final Project, can be taken in any order (except those in a specific software track). Note: while there is no time limit to take the required courses, course requirements may be periodically updated and there may be no equivalencies. Please check with your program coordinator to see if an older class will count towards the requirement for the program.
- Adobe InDesign CC 17 - (A) Fundamentals (2113018) (or Adobe InDesign CC 15 - (A) Essentials)
- Adobe InDesign CC 17 – (B) Text and Object Formatting (2113070) (or Adobe InDesign CC 15 - (B) Advanced Text Formatting and Adobe InDesign CC 15 - (B) Advanced Object Features)
- Adobe InDesign CC 17 – (C) Advanced Features (or Adobe InDesign CC 15 - (C) Advanced Techniques)
- Adobe InDesign CC 17 – (D) Master Pages and Placeholders (this is a requirement for those who enroll in the certificate after June 1st, 2017)
- Adobe Photoshop CC 17 - (A) Fundamentals (2113021) (or Adobe Photoshop CC 15 - (A) Essentials)
- Adobe Photoshop CC 17 - (B) Image Corrections (2113034) (or Adobe Photoshop CC 15 - (B) Correcting Images)
- Adobe Illustrator CC 15 - (A) Essentials (2112617) (or Adobe Illustrator CC 14 - Essentials)
- Adobe Acrobat DC – Essentials (2112620) or (Adobe Acrobat XI Pro – Essentials)
- Color Models: CMYK & RGB (2112309) (online)
- Desktop Publishing Final Project* (average completion time is 18 hours including editing and feedback from the program coordinator)
*The Desktop Publishing Certificate Program requires a final project intended to reinforce the learning goals and objectives of the program. In this final project, the participant will perform required tasks with files in InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat. Participants will be asked to retouch images and create a custom logo, newsletter, brochure, and PDF files. Submissions will be evaluated according to whether or not the steps were performed correctly, using the skills taught in the program courses.
- There is an administrative cost of $59 for the entire program. (Additionally, individual course costs for A&M System employees are listed on the course schedule page).
- How do I complete the Desktop Publishing Certificate Program?
- Once you have completed the required courses in the Desktop Publishing Certificate Program, please save a PDF version of your transcript from TrainTraq and submit it via email to EODinfo@tamu.edu. Upon receipt of your transcript and verification that you have completed all required courses, the program coordinator will contact you about the Desktop Publishing Final Project.
- How do I enroll in the Desktop Publishing Certificate Program?
Ask your supervisor for approval, obtain your departmental FAMIS account number, complete the Certificate Program Registration form, and register for the individual courses in the program.
Remember, in order to receive the Desktop Publishing Final Project and be awarded the certificate, you must enroll in the certificate program.
- Additional Information