The Microsoft Office Essentials Certificate Program is designed to focus on the most commonly used tools and commands of the Microsoft Office suite of programs. The participants will learn to create, edit and format documents, spreadsheets and slide presentations, as well as manage email and electronic calendars.
After completing all of the hands-on, instructor-led classes, the successful participant will complete a project by using the best practices learned for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. The entire project will be managed using Outlook's email and calendaring tools. The completion of this project will exhibit the participant’s proficiency to edit or collaborate on standard projects most departments deal with each day.
After completing the Microsoft Office Essentials Certificate Program, each participant will gain an understanding of the individual programs in the Microsoft Office suite of programs and how the tools and data can be shared across the range of these programs. Specifically, participants will be able to:
- Create, edit and format Word documents.
- Create, edit and format Excel worksheets, to include inserting basic formulas.
- Create, edit and format PowerPoint presentations.
- Manage email messages and calendars in Outlook.
- Apply the tools of each program appropriately to complete a final project
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Windows or Mac Operating System
- Target Audience
- The Microsoft Office Essentials Certificate Program is for Texas A&M University employees who are currently novice or non-expert users of the Microsoft Office suite. This program would be appropriate for those users who are self-taught or have not had formal Microsoft Office training. Successful participants should already possess a basic competence in using a computer and in keyboarding. For non-computer users, TAMU Computer Essentials is a recommended prerequisite.
All courses, except for the Final Project, can be taken in any order (except those in a specific software track). Note: while there is no time limit to take the required courses, course requirements may be periodically updated and there may be no equivalencies. Please check with your program coordinator to see if an older class will count towards the requirement for the program.
- Getting to Know Microsoft Office 2016 (2112950) (online)
- Microsoft Word 2016: (A) Fundamentals (2112858) (or Microsoft Word 2013 - Essentials)
- Microsoft Excel 2016: (A) Fundamentals (2112851) (or Microsoft Excel 2013 – Essentials)
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2016: (A) Fundamentals (2112839) (or Microsoft PowerPoint 2013 – Essentials)
- Microsoft Outlook 2016: (A) Fundamentals (2112854) (or Microsoft Outlook 2013 - Essentials)
- Microsoft Office Essentials Final Project* (average completion time is 6 hours including editing and feedback from the program coordinator)
*The Microsoft Office Essentials Certificate Program requires a final project intended to reinforce the learning goals and objectives of the program. In this final project, the participant will perform required tasks with files in Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word. For example, in PowerPoint, participants will be asked to prepare a slide show with presenter notes. Submissions will be evaluated according to whether or not the steps were performed correctly, using the skills taught in the program courses.
- The cost for the program is $59 plus any individual course fees if applicable (individual course costs are listed on the course schedule page).
- How do I complete the Microsoft Office Essentials Certificate Program?
- Once you have completed the required courses in the Microsoft Office Essentials Certificate Program, please save a PDF version of your transcript from TrainTraq and submit it via email toEODinfo@tamu.edu. Upon receipt of your transcript and verification that you have completed all required courses, the program coordinator will contact you about the Microsoft Office Essentials Final Project.
- How do I enroll in the Microsoft Office Essentials Certificate Program?
Ask your supervisor for approval, obtain your departmental FAMIS account number, complete the Certificate Program Registration form, and register for the individual courses in the program.
Remember, in order to receive the Microsoft Office Essentials Final Project course and be awarded the certificate, you must enroll in the certificate program.
- Additional Information