Behavioral indicators of Customer Service include:
- Provides accurate and timely service.
- Responds appropriately to needs of internal and external customers.
- Employs effective interaction with all individuals and stakeholders served throughout the university community.
For rating definitions and behavioral examples of the Customer Service behavioral competency in the Non-Faculty Performance Evaluation, please refer to the PATHways Performance Evaluation Rating Definitions.
- Training & development
The following are recommended trainings and activities designed to enhance competency-related knowledge, skills and/or abilities.
Instructor Led Training
- Lasting Impressions - Providing Excellent Customer Service
- Assertiveness Training
- Business Writing Essentials
- Interpersonal Communication Skills
- Texas A&M University – A Culture of Service (TrainTraq course #2111241)
- Improving Interpersonal Communication Skills (TrainTraq course #2111260)
- Observe others who provide exceptional customer service; ask them to share their customer service strategies and tips.
- Identify and implement processes that can lead to better customer service.
- Coaching suggestions
The following are recommended strategies a supervisor can utilize to support an employee’s competency development.
- Observe employee providing customer service in multiple outlets (on the phone, in person, via email, etc.).
- Provide specific feedback and suggestions to help improve customer service skills.
- Ask employee what you can do to support him/her to do a better job of focusing on customer service.
- Model good customer service in your unit.
- Arrange for employee to meet and talk with others in the organization who demonstrate exceptional customer service skills.
- Share feedback received from customers (internal and external) regarding service that they received.
- Recognize and reward those behaviors that contribute to positive customer service.
- Role play appropriate customer service interactions at unit meetings.
Links and External Resources
- Perfect Phrases for Customer Service: Hundreds of Tools, Techniques, and Scripts for Handling Any Situation by Robert Bacal (2005)
- The Customer Service Zone
- The Ten Commandments of Great Customer Service
- Listen With Your Eyes: Tips for Understanding Nonverbal Communication
- Responding to Conflict with Customers
- 10 Ways to Handle Difficult Customers