What is diversity? How do my own cultural views affect the interactions I have with my employees? How do I foster an environment where each employee feels valued and included?
There are many benefits to creating and maintaining a diverse work culture, which include:
- increased productivity
- the attraction and retention of employees
- reduced turnover
- increased creativity and problem solving skills
It is your responsibility as a supervisor to create a culture that is welcoming to all employees and to maintain a culture where the strengths of a diverse workforce are used in order to achieve organizational goals.
Are you cultivating an environment that focuses on the inclusion of all of your employees? Are you maximizing the benefits that a diverse work environment creates?
- Texas A&M University Library
- Berardo, Kate, and Darla K. Deardorff. Building Cultural Competence: Innovative Activities and Models. Sterling, VA: Stylus Pub., 2012. Print.
- Axtell, Roger E., and Mike Fornwald. Gestures: The Do's and Taboos of Body Language around the World. New York: Wiley, 1998. Print.
- Hall, Edward T. Beyond Culture. Garden City, NY: Anchor, 1976. Print.
- Hall, Edward T. The Hidden Dimension. New York: Anchor, 1990. Print.
- Peterson, Brooks. Cultural Intelligence: A Guide to Working with People from Other Cultures. Yarmouth, Me.: Intercultural, 2004. Print.
- Storti, Craig. Cross-cultural Dialogues: 74 Brief Encounters with Cultural Difference. Yarmouth, Me.: Intercultural, 1994. Print.
- Storti, Craig. Figuring Foreigners Out: A Practical Guide. Boston, MA: Intercultural, 1999. Print.